Tuesday, 25 January 2011

taking the bad with the good

Someone on twitter linked to a video of a fellow called San Bao. He was meditating and serving Oolong tea and generally talking about his life and the way he sees tea and the world. Here's his website in case you'd like to see it for yourself:

http://www.lotus-awakening.com/

But something he said got me thinking. The guy interviewing him asked what he thought about the state of the world. Things going on in the world. His response was very positive.

He said something that I definitely agree with. The newspapers are filled with what's wrong in the world. Typically, you don't read about hopeful things in the news. He was very clear to say that even in the places with the most turmoil, there are mothers who love their children and people doing good things for one another.

So that's what I'm thinking about as I sip my Dung-ti Oolong. As the tea warms me and my mind calms down from a long day, I'm ignoring explosions in a Moscow airport. Of course it's sad and criminal that a company that makes animal feed in Germany was discovered to be using cheap, poisoned oil in their products. Many animals on many farms were found to have such high levels of toxins in their systems that entire livestock had to be culled.

It's not that I'm ignoring these things. They're certainly out there. But there's so much positive going on around us. You don't have to drink tea to see those good things, but it doesn't hurt. Off to heat the kettle for another infusion. And to think about how fortunate we really are.

3 comments:

  1. This is a nice upbeat post. You know, I've sometimes thought we should publish a newspaper called: "Good News" - a paper only about good news. There is so much good news out there, and we should hear more about it!
    Instead of reading headlines like: You have a 10% chance of acquiring this foul disease if.."bla bla. How about: "You have a 90% chance of never getting it all". It' all perspective! And - which one you adopt.

    Happy tea drinking,
    J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment of San Bao's is an interesting, optimistic, and yet deeply realistic take on strife and suffering. I think that this sort of remark is a good response to people who make comments that optimism is necessarily at odds with realism.

    I was thinking a similar thought when I passed through Chester, PA today on the train. Chester is sad to look at from the train: boarded-up and falling-apart houses, trash littered throughout vacant lots. But if you look closely you see quite a few well-maintained properties. There are whole blocks where every house or almost every house is carefully maintained.

    It's evident that a large portion of people living in this community care very much about it and are doing a great deal of work (successfully) to keep parts of it clean and well-maintained. I find that very encouraging.

    ReplyDelete