Thursday 10 March 2011

Thai Tea?

What on earth is Thai Tea? One of my colleagues asked me about this, and I'm sure I could do minimal research and find out a bit more.

Instead, I'm opening it up as a question here on my blog. I've had spicy chilled tea with milk while eating at a Thai restaurant, and I'm sure that's a good starting place. And the little I read about it said that it's simple black (red) tea brewed with spices and served iced with milk.

Ok. What spices? Are they easy to obtain? We have tons of Asia markets here in Munich, but they seem to offer mostly Chinese and a few Japanese products. Can you point me to a reliable place to get spices for Thai Tea? What is your experience with this?

Erik Kennedy (@thetearooms on twitter) says of Thai Tea that 'People drink it out of a bloody plastic bag.' Uh...really? Please don't him have the last word on this. Fill me in.

6 comments:

  1. Are you referring to Thai Iced Tea? That can be found in any Thai restaurant here in the states. The recipe varies though. It usually contains black tea, sweetened condensed milk, ice, and can have cardamom, tamarind, and/or star anise (i think). It is also often colored with orange food coloring. You can brew loose tea, or many restaurants use tea powder and add hot water and the milk. something like this
    http://www.templeofthai.com/food/beverages/thaitea-3102061126.php

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tea Happiness-thank you. That's exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. Anyone else with any information? Experiences?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My French tea drinking friend (@Melle_The) suggested this: http://www.oneletterwords.com/thaitea/recipes.html

    Getting better and better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think most people mean Thai iced tea, which, since it's sweet, is not something I'm a fan of. On the other hand, Thailand produces some very interesting teas; you can read my review of a green tea from Thailand made from the Assamica cultivar which I found outstanding and very different. Unfortunately, that particular tea is not available from the source I got it from (Upton), but I bet if you shop around you might locate.

    Something tells me you in particular might like that tea, given what I read about with your tastes. It's very un-green-tea-like for a green tea: very strong and bold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alex-I have to try this Thai green tea you've mentioned. I think it's fantastic that you have a feeling for my taste in tea. What a world this tea community is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Drinking Thai Tea is definitely an adventure! It’s like taking tea to a different level.
    The recipe may vary, but it usually contains black tea leaves, star anise powder, orange blossom water, crushed tamarind seed, cinnamon, vanilla, rose tea leaves, sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk and sugar.
    You can drink it hot or cold, at a Thai restaurant or at home! Get creative! I believe you will find most ingredients at Asian or local markets.
    It’s sweet and powerful and absolutely worth trying!

    ReplyDelete