Tuesday 1 March 2011

on the road with the mundane



The last several days have been filled with me playing tour guide to my brother, who's visiting Germany for the first time since he was an infant. If you're at all interested, you can see updates over there: #brotherstrip.

Now you might think that all of this endless sightseeing would somehow interfere with my tea drinking, but you'd be wrong. I might be drinking a bit more tea if I were home, but I've taken special care to carry my tea with me. Mostly it's been different Darjeelings that I've written about here recently, but some mornings there was no choice but to go with a strong Assam Khongea or a vibrant Nilgiri Thiashola 'Carrington', which I've been enjoying but haven't yet reviewed.



While I was wandering through the Verkehrsmuseum (transport museum) earlier today, I happened upon this description of the construction of the Darjeeling/Nilgiri/Kalka Shimla railway route. Maybe someone who's not a tea lover might also be interested in this stretch of track, but something from across the room pulled me over to this display. I could so easily imagine all the tea that was transported on these trains.

Tomorrow, we've got a trip to the top of the Zugspitze planned, and I've already decided that's a two-thermos trip. With a bit of loose-leaf tea in a pouch in case I can manage to find a cafe that'll agree to refill one of my thermoses in the late afternoon. We'll see. Don't encourage me too much. I've been known to blog about the mundane.

No comments:

Post a Comment