Sunday 14 November 2010

rub this on your skin and turn back time


-Eases irritability, headaches, nervous tension and insomnia.
-Acts as an anti-spasmodic agent, to relieve stomach cramps and colic in infants
-Can be used to treat hay fever, asthma and eczema
-Placed directly on the skin, it can slow the aging process
-Boosts the immune system


Health advantages to drinking Rooibus tea (source: http://coffeetea.about.com)

I've written about this tea only a handful of times, and normally turn to it when I don't feel well. This evening, I simply didn't feel like making a whole pot of anything. I looked through my cupboard and found some bagged tea that was a gift.

While the bag steeped, I looked at a few sites, and found the above list of medical benefits. I wasn't irritable to begin with, but I'm less so now. The same can be said for headaches and nervous tension. Don't normally avoid caffeine (even late at night), but I did reach for the Rooibus partly because I knew it was caffeine free.

Am relieved to know I can drink this stuff in case of spasms. And stomach cramps. Not being snarky. Those really are helpful uses for this tea. As for hay fever, asthma and eczema, those don't sound very nice at all.

I am a bit curious if the aging process is slowed by rubbing the plant or the tea on one's skin. Doesn't really matter. That's one of the most ridiculous claims that so many products make. At the very least, I think breathing deeply slows the aging process.

Supposedly much less research has been done on the health benefits of the South African Red Bush (Aspalathus linearis) than on the tea (Camellia sinensis) plant. I'm not drinking it for any of those reasons anyway. It has a natural sweetness that makes sugar or honey unnecessary. And am pretty sure I'll slip softly into unconsciousness with the taste still on my lips.

2 comments:

  1. You know? There is actually some scientific evidence backing up some of these supposed health benefits of Rooibos. I have not seen any evidence substantiating the (widespread) claims that it can treat allergies, but I have seen evidence supporting its topical use in skin care products--including acting as a sun screen. There's evidence from animal studies that it can act as a bronchodilator--improving breathing, much in the same way those asthma inhalers do, just slower-and longer-acting. And some of its benefits are even more far-fetched; did you know that if you drink even a single cup of Rooibos tea, it provides you with modest protection against gamma rays. Yes, next time there's a nuclear meltdown and you're stuck in the middle of it with no time to evacuate, start chugging the rooibos!

    Sound far-fetched? You can read the citations on my page on rooibos. And if you learn of any more interesting ones and find solid evidence, please let me know; I want that page to be as comprehensive as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting but you know it isn't tea right?

    ReplyDelete