Wednesday 15 December 2010

Oolong Nirvana in the next street over

My plan is still to go into more detail about the teas I was sent by Darjeeling Tea Express, but something excited has come up. I have to talk about it.

Recently, a few different people told me that there was a new tea shop nearby. My hopes were not high. Immediately, my thoughts turned to what sort of shop it might be. My worst nightmare was kitschy knick knacks and assorted artificially flavoured teas. Just in time for the holidays.

I was in for a shock. Immediately as I walked up to the window, it was obvious that my assumptions were all wrong. Here's the Laifufu Teesalon:





The owner is a Taiwanese woman called Pei-Jen, and it was quickly apparent that she was a wealth of information about Oolong tea. This really could not get any better. First I wandered through and admired the teapots and cups on display:







Then at the back of the room there's a little set of tables looking out on the quiet, snowy courtyard. I think you'll find me here quite often in the coming months:








Asked for an Oolong recommendation, and was encouraged to sit and try multiple infusions of a high mountain Oolong called Alishan Zhu Lu. The first infusion was ok, but nothing special. It had a very strong floral smell, but I couldn't taste it. Luckily, each infusion became more floral and more dramatic. Once again, I'm not surprised that I like a tea grown at a high altitude.

While Pei-Jen poured cup after cup, we talked about a wide variety of topics relating to Oolong tea. Wealthy nouveau riche Chinese who come in and buy entire crops of a plantation before the tea has even been processed. Oolong tea being sold on the market as authentic Taiwanese, which is over-priced and potentially not even from Taiwan.

If you happen to be in Munich-Neuhausen, you'll find the Laiffu Teesalon at Maillinger Straße 14, 80636 München (Munich). There's a website still under construction, but I'll go ahead and give the address (http://www.laifufu.de).

I wanted to include a photo of Pei-Jen, but thought it might be overwhelming on the first visit. Nevertheless, here's a photo of the table where we drank the delicious tea I've described:

5 comments:

  1. Well, go ahead and tease us, it's like dangling a carrot - except it's much better, it's tea. Of course you know we don't have anything quite like that here, but now we know you do. Some people have all the luck :P

    Ha, my tongue-in-cheek comments aside - glad you posted this, always like browsing tea stores. Hope they get lots of brisk business, although it's kind of nice they aren't overrun. It looks so serene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad for you.
    This looks like a good place and if I ever go to Munich, I will try to go there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What was nice was that while I was there, a few others came in and sat down for the impromptu tasting. I'm sure to write more about my discoveries there in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    It was said to me that there is almoust not tea life in Germany- and now I find your blog and LaiFuFu teasalon at ones. I am glad. Nice blog, keep going this way...

    Petr

    ReplyDelete
  5. Petr-there's much more of a tea drinking culture in the north (Hamburg and Bremen), but there are pockets of it down here, as well. Glad you like the blog.

    ReplyDelete