Saturday 11 December 2010

tea of the Bobo

Had a very interesting conversation with the first guest at the Darjeeling tea tasting I hosted a week ago, but I was so preoccupied with the even that I neglected to ponder what was said before others arrived.

I've known Caroline for years, and we rarely stay on one topic for very long. It seems like when we meet, we start twice as many conversations as we have time to really explore. It means there's always plenty to cover when we pick up where we left off. I knew she'd studied Chinese, and in the early days of this blog, she wrote a comment about Pu-erh. Just based on that comment, I knew she knew was at least moderately into tea.

So, she was the last one invited, the first one to arrive, and she told me a bit of the story about how she got into tea. Since this is one of the topics I like to cover here, my ears perked up when she went into detail. For her, it all started with Bobo tea.

I thought all week about contacting her and asking more about this elusive tea. Today, I saw her at the train station. I had to know more details. What is Bobo tea? How did she discover it?

Well, here's the cliffhanger. She's visiting family in England for the holidays and had no time to go into detail. She'll tell me in the new year.

I've done a bit of research about this tea she mentioned, but to no avail. We'll really have to wait till January to get the whole story. She said it was a mix of green tea and some other teas. Was a black tea involved? I think she said it was. She tasted it one time, was intrigued and when she finally located where to buy it, it could only be ordered in bulk. She had to buy kilos of the stuff to get her fix.

I cannot wait to find out about the mysterious Bobo tea.

1 comment:

  1. Bobo? In France, it means bourgeois bohème or in English bourgeois bohemian.

    I am interested in hearing more.

    ReplyDelete