Saturday 1 May 2010

Tea Tasting Terms

Jeff gave me a great idea, and I'm pondering how to present it.

Here's what he said and what I'm thinking:

Why do wine drinkers have such easy, accessible terms to describe the way wine tastes but tea terms are often so indecipherable? 'What the hell does "tannic" mean?', were his exact words.

I have noticed my vocabulary for tea tasting is limited, and I want to develop it. I don't want to just do one or two blogposts about this and forget it. Instead, my plan is to put something permanent on the side of the main page of the blog. So that when people are looking at the other blogs I follow or my twitter feed, they'll also see a list of common tea tasting terms/phrases.

Sounds useful, eh? I think so.

Stay tuned amigos. And have a great May Day weekend. Drink better tea. Much better tea. You'll be glad you did.

4 comments:

  1. I'm slowly adding more and more words into my descriptions. It helps to do a bit of research and a bit of thinking in order to sort of grasp what others are describing.

    Yesterday I used the term 'kuwei' (good bitterness) for the first time. And several reviews back I used 'ku' (bitterness) too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be nice to have a compiled list! Like a tea dictionary! =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fanciest terms I use for wine are "sweet" and "dry". (And, sometimes, "fruity".)

    ReplyDelete