Monday 24 May 2010

What? Another tea review? Two in a row?

Because the second infusion of the green tea yesterday was so mediocre, I decided to do several infusions of a green tea I already know I love. It's called China Wu Lu (at least that's what Claus Kröger in Hamburg calls it). The way the tea seller describes it is that it's one of the most exquisite green teas, and in many cases I'd think that was hyperbole. Not in this case.

This tea really is quite good. And the better news is that the second infusion was far superior to the first. The third was even quite good. I didn't try a fourth. I know I should've, but I didn't.

Here's my best attempt at a traditional tea review:

This is an excellent green. The first time around the tea was strong but far from bitter. None of that harsh taste that critics object to in relation to many green teas. I like even the most bitter greens, but this isn't one of them.

Don't think that means it's mild. If I'm positive about a tea, there's a good chance that tea has a bit of a kick. This tea is no exception. It's flavour is powerful. Very dark cup colour. At least for the first infusion.

The second infusion was an entirely different story. The cup colour was markedly lighter. The taste, on the other hand, was dramatically enhanced. The flavour of the tea diminished in no way between infusions. If anything, the second time was a bit less strong and quite a bit more delicious. It did taste more of grass the second time, but there's nothing wrong with green tea having a bit of a grassy taste. I've certainly had greens that were far grassier.

Please go to your tea seller, and see if he/she has any Wu Lu. You'll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment